For Property Maintenance Inquires,
Please call Ext. 3912

For Zoning Inquires,
Please call Ext. 3907

For Vacant Property Registration Inquires,
Please call Ext. 3911


Pasquale Popolizio – Zoning Official

Matt Quinn – Chief Code Enforcement Officer

Amanda Kisty – Code Enforcement Officer



Zoning Map_Rev. 6-26-23

The office of Planning and Zoning is responsible for all applications for development that come before either the Planning Board or The Board of Adjustment. Application forms for the Planning Board and Board of Adjustment can be picked up, with a visit to our office or by way of the below link. The fee schedule is also available to determine the necessary fees prior to submittal. Any questions regarding the application forms or required application fees can be answered by contacting our office during the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

The application for a zoning permit can be acquired from our office during the hours reflected above or by way of the following link http://www.manchestertwp.com/forms/. Zoning permits are required for any change of use and almost all building and renovation work, including accessory structures such as fences and shed installations. Please be advised that the zoning permit must be accompanied by a scaled/original sized copy plot plan showing the proposed size and location of any proposed development of the property. The plot plan must also show all proposed front, rear, and side setbacks from the property lines.

Code for the Township of Manchester Land Use Ordinance is Section 245

Land Use Development Zoning Schedules



Where do I pick up applications for sheds, decks, fences, signs, etc.?
They are available at the Department of Inspections, Land Use, & Planning located in the basement of Town Hall.

How high can a fence be constructed?
On interior fee simple lots, up to 4 feet, except for side and rear yards where it can be up to 6 feet in height. Fences are not permitted in easements or senior communities with shared common grounds. Contact our office for corner lot requirements.

Can the fence be installed on the property line?
Yes, but we recommend a few inches inside the property.

Must the fence be installed with the “good side” out?

How many accessory building such as garages, sheds, pergolas, gazebos, and pavilions are permitted on a residential lot.
The quantity of accessory building is limited by total area, maximum building coverage, and in some cases maximum lot coverage. At a minimum, the total area of all structures must not exceed 1,000 square feet and garages are limited to a height of 16 feet while sheds and all other accessory buildings are limited to a height of 12 feet.

How large can a detached garage be?
Notwithstanding maximum building and lot coverage, garage size is limited to the amount of available area as it pertains to existing accessory buildings. For example, if you have a 200 square foot shed on your property then you are limited to an 800 square foot garage. Be reminded that the total area allowed for accessory buildings is 1,000 square feet.

Are driveways required for detached residential garages?
Yes, all new detached residential garages will require access driveways paved in accordance with Township Ordinance 245-81N. In addition, post frame construction buildings (A.K.A. “Pole Barns”) are permitted for a garage use accessory to a residential home, provided that they are constructed on a slab.

Are temporary signs such as banners, streamers, lawn signs, & wind sails permitted?
All temporary signs, displays, and all other forms of temporary or competitive advertising are strictly prohibited pursuant to Township Ordinance 245-27(8) & (9).

Is a property survey required for all Zoning Permit?
Yes, a copy of a legible survey of the property (drawn to scale) indicating all existing and proposed buildings, site improvements, & structures is required.

Are zoning permits required for driveway replacement or expansions?
Yes, zoning permits are required for all proposed driveway replacement or expansions including cases where new blacktop is being placed on an existing driveway. All driveways must meet a five foot (5Ft) side yard setback requirement and must not cause a violation of the maximum lot coverage requirement of the zone.

I own four 25-foot-wide contiguous lots in Pine Lake park equal to 10,000 square feet. Is lot consolidation required to create a conforming buildable lot?
Yes, undersized lots under common ownership must be consolidated by way of Deed to create a conforming buildable lot prior to development. This will require an application to the Township’s Tax assessor for a new lot number and address if applicable. The Deed will then have to be recorded with the County Clerk. Once recorded, a copy of the recorded Deed must be submitted to the Township Tax Assessor as proof of consolidation.

When do I need a tree removal permit?
Tree removal permits are required whenever an area of tree in excess of 225 square feet is being removed for purposes such as development, driveway expansion, creation of a recreational area, etc. In no case shall tree removal reduce tree density to less than 10 trees per acre. Lot clearing for development purposes will require a tree removal permit along with a re-forestation plan detailing the location, species, and size of trees to be planted. The objective of this regulation is to preserve trees wherever it can be accomplished.





Code Enforcement

Since the adoption of our new code book, Manchester Township now operates under the 2006 International Property Maintenance Code. This book is on file in the Zoning office and the Office of the Municipal Clerk for public viewing.

The property maintenance code addresses requirements for house numbers intended to identify premises for emergency response, basic visual maintenance issues as well as rodent and swimming pool sanitation problems. It addresses our residents’ concerns to protect property values and quality of life issues and helps to address the many complaints we receive each year. This code is designed to protect the health, safety and welfare of all Manchester residents.

Information Regarding the Abandoned/Vacant Property Registry



At what height will I receive a maintenance violation for my lawn, grass and weeds?
All premises and exterior property shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth in excess of 10 inches.

Can I park a motor vehicle and/or trailer on my lawn?
No. A driveway is required for on-site parking. Parking areas shall be surfaced in accordance with T.O. 245-81N where all off-street residential driveways shall be surfaced by either a two-inch-thick bituminous material (A.K.A. asphalt) on a four-inch-thick gravel base or six-inch-thick wire mesh re-enforced concrete on a properly compacted base. Alternate surface such as pavers on a properly compacted base may be utilized.

Can I store/sell motor vehicles on my property? 
No unregistered or other motor vehicle which is inoperable, except temporarily while undergoing minor repair by its owner, shall be stored in any residential lot in any zone. No vehicle may at any time be in a state of major disassembly, disrepair, or in the process of being stripped or dismantled with the exception that a vehicle of any type is permitted to undergo major overhaul, including body work, provided that such work is performed inside a structure or similarly enclosed area designed and approved for such purposes.
A homeowner or tenant may place one motor vehicle for sale on or at a property where said homeowner or tenant resides and where said vehicle is currently registered and owned by that homeowner or tenant. The vehicle must be legally parked pursuant to all state and local regulations and may have no more than two FOR SALE signs no larger than 18 inches by 12 inches. The telephone number of the homeowner or tenant must be conspicuously displayed on the FOR SALE sign.

Can I store items in the open on my property including, but not limited to trailers and lawn maintenance equipment and supplies?
No. Other than permitted storage yards in the industrial zones, accessory storage in conjunction with building supply, house and garden centers, outdoor display and storage of motor vehicles in car lots, no material whatsoever shall be permitted to be stored in the open, in trailers or other vehicles whether registered, operable or inoperable, temporarily or permanently.

When is a pool enclosure required and what height does the enclosure have to be?
Private swimming pools, hot tubs and spas, containing water more than 24 inches (610 mm) in depth shall be completely surrounded by a fence or barrier at least 48 inches (1219 mm) in height above the finished ground level measured on the side of the barrier away from the pool. Gates and doors in such barriers shall be self-closing and self-latching. Where the self-latching device is less than 54 inches (1372 mm) above the bottom of the gate, the release mechanism shall be located on the pool side of the gate. Self-closing and self- latching gates shall be maintained such that the gate will positively close and latch when released from an open position of 6 inches (152 mm) from the gatepost. No existing pool enclosure shall be removed, replaced or changed in a manner that reduces its effectiveness as a safety barrier. Exception: Spas or hot tubs with a safety cover that complies with ASTM F 1346 shall be exempt from the provisions of this section.

Is it acceptable to just have my house number on my mailbox or does it have to be affixed directly to the dwelling
Buildings shall have approved address numbers placed in a position to be plainly legible and visible from the street or road fronting the property. These numbers shall contrast with their background. Address numbers shall be Arabic numerals or alphabet letters. Numbers shall be a minimum of 4 inches (102 mm) high with a minimum stroke width of 0.5 inch (12.7 mm).

What is a “Sight Triangle” and how does it have to be maintained?
Sight triangles are the specified areas along an intersection’s approach legs and across the included corners. These areas should be clear of obstructions that might block a driver’s view of conflicting vehicles or pedestrians. Manchester Township Ordinance reads as follows, “At the intersection of two (2) or more streets, no hedge, fence or wall shall be higher than thirty 30 inches above the edge of pavement elevation, nor any obstruction to any vision, other than a post or tree not to exceed one square foot in cross section area, shall be permitted within the triangular area, up to a height of seven (7) feet. The sight triangle shall be formed by the corner property line at the intersecting streets and a straight line between two (2) points, one leg being ten (10) feet from the corner point along the stopped vehicle lane, and the other being measured from the corner point along the leg of the through lane as per the attached.”
Routine maintenance of the sight triangle area to maintain an unobstructed sight line shall be the responsibility of the owner.

What is a Municipal Right-Of-Way, and what is my responsibility as a property owner?
A Municipal Right-of-Way is the surface of, and the space above or below, any public street, road, place, public way or place, sidewalk, alley, boulevard, parkway, drive, and the like, held by the Township as an easement or in fee simple ownership. This term also includes rights-of-way held by the County of Ocean where the Township’s approval is required for the use of same pursuant to N.J.S.A. 27:16-6. This term shall not include private roadways.
As a property owner, it is your responsibility to keep the municipal right-of-way free of obstruction and/or encumbrances resulting from your property. One of the more common issues in Manchester Township is the allowance of overgrowth and vegetation to extend into the roadways causing sight obstructions and restrictions of access to the entire roadway. It is your duty as a property owner, whether the land is vacant or not, to ensure the municipal road ways are free and clear from overgrowth and vegetation.

Even though my overgrown conditions are not specifically in the sight triangle, I received a notice of violation for failure to maintain my property in a safe condition. What do I have to do to abate this situation?
You are required to maintain a clear sight line of oncoming traffic for all drivers and pedestrians attempting to enter the roadway. All overgrown weeds, shrubs, trees, vegetation, etc. should be cut back within the property line so as not to obstruct the view of oncoming traffic.

Can I leave garbage and rubbish out at the curb?
No. Bulk pick-up occurs twice per year, a schedule of which can be found on our website under the Department of Public Works by click on “Click here for the recycling and bulk pickup schedule for 2021”. All items being set out for Bulk pick-up are permitted to be at the curb no sooner than 48 hours prior to the scheduled pick-up for your area.
Other than at the above mentioned Bulk Pick-up times, the operator of every establishment/residence producing garbage shall provide, and at all times cause to be utilized, approved leak-proof containers provided with close-fitting covers for the storage of such materials until removed from the premises for disposal. The airtight and waterproof containers may not be placed at curbside for pickup earlier than 5:00 p.m. the day before scheduled pickup and the containers must be removed no later than 6:00 p.m. on the evening of pickup.

When is it legal to own chickens and/or other farm yard animals?
Farm animals shall be permitted within the PPA, PFA-S, PFA-R, FA-S, FA-R, WTRA, R-A, R-40 and BVR-40 Zones, provided that:

  1. Pigs and hogs shall be prohibited in all zones;
  2. Small farm animals such as poultry, pigeons, goats, and sheep shall be permitted on lots of not less than two acres and further provided that all pens, coops, barns and shelter buildings shall be a minimum of 50 feet from any adjoining property line; and
  3. Large farm animals, including horses, cows, llamas, ostriches, emus and similar types of animals shall be permitted on lots of not less than five acres; provided, however, that there shall be a minimum of three acres for the first horse, cow or other large animal and a minimum of one additional acre for each additional horse or cow. All pens, coops, barns and shelter buildings shall be a minimum of 50 feet from any adjoining residential property line and a minimum of 100 feet from any adjoining residential structure.

When am I permitted to have Garage/Yard Sales?
Garage sales shall be prohibited Monday through Thursday except for the following Monday holidays: Martin Luther King Day, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day and Labor Day. All garage sales shall be conducted between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Can I post signs to advertise my Garage/Yard Sale?
Signs posted on handbills advertising a garage sale as herein defined shall be of a size not larger than 12 inches by 12 inches and must contain, in addition to the definition of the type of sale being advertised, the name and address of the person conducting the sale. All such signs shall be removed within 48 hours after the completion of the sale. A newspaper advertisement of such sale shall contain the address of the person conducting the sale. Signs advertising permitted yard sales shall not be posted on telephone poles, other public utility structures or within any required sight triangle.

What is the Township’s Noise Ordinance?
It shall be unlawful for a person to make, continue or cause to be made or continued any loud, unnecessary, offensive or unusual noise or any noise which does or is likely to annoy, disturb, injure or endanger the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of others
Also, no person shall operate or cause to be operated on private property (i.e., industrial facility, commercial facility, quarry, construction site, residential property, etc.) any source of sound in such a manner as to create a sound, which when measured in a manner as described in N.J.A.C. 7:29B, Subchapter 1, on the boundary line of the receiving land use, is in excess of the decibel levels set forth more specifically in the Township Ordinance.
Daytime standards for continuous sound are to be followed from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. weekdays and 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.
The nighttime standard for continuous sound are to be followed from 10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. of the following day on weekdays and 10:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m. of the following day, when the following day is a Saturday or Sunday.

Do I have to repair my broken fence?
All exterior surfaces, including but not limited to, doors, door and window frames, cornices, porches, trim, balconies, decks and fences shall be maintained structurally sound and in good condition.



Senior Citizen Development Regulations